Friday, January 17, 2014

What to do when everyone has something to say

Coming back from break or just have a topic that everyone wants to chime in on?  My solution is to let them all talk. But if each student gets a minute you're going to have no time left. Here's how the day started right after winter break:
Please take out a piece of paper (my students know there is always some paper in the back of the room).  Now write down three good things that happened to you over break and three not so good.  I walked around the room greeting students and welcoming them back.  When it appeared many had completed I asked those who were done to stand. Students quickly finished. All were asked to sit again to hear the rules for a standing conversation.
A standing conversation is a structured conversation. Each person states their information uninterrupted. 30 seconds you tell your 6 events,  30 seconds your partner tells theirs and then 30 seconds of conversation about the topic. I set a timer, students must have a partner with whom they haven't seen over break and who is not seated nearby.   Then we switch and do it again.
Then we're back to our seats. I ask if anyone had a story told that they think should be shared. I've walked around during the standing conversation so I prompt if needed. I don't ask the original storyteller to share because I want students to listen to each other and I didn't want to get bogged down in detail.
Now in under 10 minutes everyone has gotten to share and we are ready to start the lesson.
This method also works well for helping students justify their own opinion. Have them write first,  then discuss, lastly share out.  One of the hardest things for students is stating conclusions. Try this to begin this high level of Bloom for your self.

No comments:

Post a Comment